Thursday, January 27, 2011

How can we make sense of Art?

I was reading a paper this week about the Tower of Babel and the philosopher Jacques Derrida.The paper was quite interesting except for the two page commentary on the above picture which is a famous piece of art portraying the Tower of Babel from the 16th century by Pieter Bruegel the Elder. As I looked at the picture initially, I was left empty on seeing "it's brilliance." Sure it's pretty and it would be nice to have it hanging up in my room, but outside of that i couldn't discuss it whatsoever analytically....And the commentary about the piece of art didn't help out that much more....

I guess, as much as I like reading philosophy and not having a problem with spending 20 minutes trying to read a single page of Kant, I can't figure out art for the life of me, and i know as an Apostolic, I am not alone.

I want to understand art, but a love for the aesthetic things in life such as art has been for more or less absent in our movement. And i feel i am beyond repair....

Well, this article was a step towards understanding and the best part is, it was written for Christians who have no previous understanding in art criticism.....

No comments: