Thursday, July 28, 2011

New CD:William Matthews--Hope's Anthem

Hope’s Anthem is the debut release by singer/songwriter William Matthews. With a combination of styles such as R&B, soul, pop and a bit of bluegrass, Matthews original compositions take the listener through a range of worship styles from joyful and carefree to introspective and contemplative.

Beginning with his participation leading worship at the International House of Prayer in Kansas City, MO, Matthews then moved on to Bethel Church in Redding, CA, where he currently lives, writes and continues to lead worship. Additionally, Matthews will be conducting a tour of California churches, featuring songs from his debut album.

The album opens with the unconventional sound of banjo and mandolin in the upbeat I’m Free. This is followed by a range of styles from slow to driving tempo tunes such as Deep Cries Out. Matthews brings a fresh version of Psalm 40 in the upbeat So Good To Me, as well as a remake of Psalm 23 in The Lord Is My Shepherd.

Echoing Bluetree’s God Of This City is the fourth song on the album, We Believe:

You hear us Lord when we lift our voice, here in one accord,

Father we ask, may your kingdom come and your will be done here across this land

Father we stand in your truth,

We believe that our nation will be saved, that our cities will be free,

Every promise that you give God,

We believe that your love will never end and your mercy cover sin.

Every promise that you give, God, we believe.

My pick from the album is This One Thing

My heart and flesh cry out, O living God,

You’re where I wanna be.

This song I sing, this prayer and offering, to you, beautiful King.

And all I want is just your heart. Yes, I am living just to see your glory

You’re where I wanna be, you’re where I wanna be

My heart it beats for this one thin

I’m so in love with you, I’m so in love with you,

My heart is singing this one thing…..

With solid, Biblically based lyrics, Hope’s Anthem is just that – a call to renewed confidence in the power and promise of God’s word and calling in us.

-Ann Ahrens

No comments: