Monday, December 08, 2008

Another Apostolic Reality Star

http://www.kdhnews.com/news/story.aspx?s=29494

This story intrigues me on two levels. First, I still get a little excited when I see Apostolics making news in a positive way. My view is that we are to be a light in the world, and a lighthouse doesn't have to shoot a canon off to let people know it's a lighthouse. It simply shines. In other words, I like to see people doing "ordinary" things in a Christian-like manner without having to declare their spirituality. Daniel Jens, while competing on America's Got Talent, sings well, plays well, and has an authentic, if not polished, stage presence (Check out the clip here). I think he's a great witness for his Father, even if he didn't manage to squeeze Acts 2:38 into his speech. His love for God and his wife shine throughout, and he certainly wowed the judges. That performance earned him a trip to Las Vegas, where he ultimately placed 11th. His ranking would have been higher, but he forgot the lyrics to part of his song there. Still, it was another excellent performance.

Second, I am happy to see a member of our American armed forces doing well. As a veteran who has not had to be away from my family for 15-months, I tip my hat to Daniel. It sounds like he used his talent to minister to his fellow soldiers while overseas. I'm glad he got he's home with his wife now, and got the opportunity to play on a national stage.

I guess the bottom line is that we, as Apostolics, have no excuse to hide inside our church walls. Why let televangelists be the only face of Christianity that the mass media transmits over the electrons?

No comments: