Monday, July 27, 2009

It's a Small World After All

Okay, so the title may be a little ironic for this video that made it's way into my inbox (something some of you may have already seen judging from the number of views it has:



When I saw the above video, the last sense I got was a realization of how simple and small the world is. Rather, when I see such videos and read books such as Thomas L. Friedman's The World is Flat, I can't help feeling that I am incredibly small, and in the scope of this material world, I am simply a statistic whose Western Empire is crumbling, if not collapsing all around me. The culture is changing, and thanks to technology we can even perceive the monumental shifts of the world from various isolated and distinct ethnic-cultures into one giant meling pot of an international culture who laugh at the same youtube videos in realtime.

Needless to say, all of this moving and shaking makes me anxious. As history and technology sweep over me where my American identity means less and less in the scheme of things, I can't help but just want to grab a piece of this culture shift to call my own. But ultimately, I can't help but feel like I am going to come out the losing in on this culture shift for my inability to adapt in such a climate. And that's precisely what I think the biggest shift in culture is amounting to: The inability to actually claim ownership over anything. Feeling the need to be more anxious over the changing times?


No longer is english the limited to those
of the Western World, but now it is for everyone....(sigh)

No comments: