Monday, November 10, 2008

Final Symposium Thoughts (Chantell's Version)

I was not as fantastic of a liveblogger as I'd hoped, either, Josh. Don't feel too badly. It happens to the best of us. I had this vision of myself as a roving reporter, updating every hour on the hour, and getting exclusive interviews with the best and brightest of our movement, but alas, it wasn't to be.

I will share a few pictures from Day Two but before I do . . . it's time for a Top Ten.

Top Ten Things I Learned at UGST Symposium

10. The Septuagint is not a seven-member band.

9. Having a life-changing experience? Good. Trying to exegete it? Not so good.

8. The Gateway Chapel's stained glass windows are resplendent to the eye, but the pews are punishing to the derrière.

7. The trajectory of a sermon in the African-American tradtion: "Help him, Lord"-->"Come on, now"-->"Amen"-->"Yes, sir!"-->"Glory, hallelujah!"

6. Distinguishing "orality" from "aurality" can be a tongue twister.

5. Karl Barth = the ghost of Hamlet's father. Not there, but stirring things up.

4. The KJV isn't the version Jesus used.

3. Old: "Charismatic" New: "Emerging Church"

2. When writing a response paper, it's standard to refer to the author of the original paper by his last name. It's even more fun when said last name has an inherently accusatory ring to it.

1. Yes We Can because I AM!

And now, the pics . . .


Terry Vik as Elijah. Orality is not just about reading texts out loud as they were during biblical times. It's about making the Word come alive.


Bishop Moore speaking on unity among the brethren. The most awesome line from his sermon: "Unity is embodied in truth."


Mike Hall, Patrick Dotson and Jeff Brickle on a panel concerning orality in the Book of Revelation. (Whatever you do, never say "Revelations" in Bro. Brickle's presence!)


Laura Jurek, Betsy Hoffman and Meg Harrington also presenting on orality in Revelation. And I must say that Meg's powerpoint presentation was first rate!


Nate Binion leading worship during the "Standing Together for Truth" service at the World Evangelism Center. I must say that this service was the height of the symposium. It was so beautiful to see people of a variety of cultural, racial and ethnic backgrounds rally together around their common Oneness Apostolic faith.


Jared Runck (or, in this instance, simply "Runck") presenting his paper on Orality, Performance and Media.

God is good. I had a wonderful time meeting new people, catching up with friends, and learning more about God's Word. It's so refreshing to have a place to discuss issues openly without fear of judgment. It gives me hope that our movement is going in a postive direction. When I am able to be a part of something like this, I feel that I've found a community where I am welcomed and challenged. And that is nothing less than a godsend for me.

No comments: